Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Life in Zimbabwe and Stories about God

Came across a friendly Italian guy last week who was working in Oz for a few weeks. Turned out he was a technician for aluminium manufacturing machines and for the past 8 years has spent 3 weeks out of every 4 travelling the world fixing these machines. I didn't ask him how many frequent flyer points he had!! He was due to go to Iran next month and wasn't particularly looking forward to that visit.


I also interviewed a young Irish guy heading to NZ last weekend. The book he was reading caught my attention - the title was 'God Is Not Great'. I made a comment about it and he then showed me the card he was using as a bookmark. It was given to him by someone who saw him reading the book in a Maccas somewhere up on the North Coast of NSW. I'm trying to remember the exact wording but it was along the lines of 'The cost of sin is death'. The interesting part though was that when you turned the card around the other way you could read the wording 'the belief of faith is life'.


Vicki has passed on some details of memorable people she has interviewed in recent times which I have included here.


* Some time ago I spoke to a very nice New Zealand woman who had been to Australia to deliver her very sick daughter to a live-in eating disorder clinic as they don't have any in NZ. The daughters illness was at the life threatening stage and I often wonder how the story ended.


* Also a while ago, I chatted to a very quietly spoken American who was part of the US navy and also part of the team that rescued the Russian sub off the bottom of the ocean. He was very interesting.


* I think my most enthralling interview to date was a young white woman from Zimbabwe who shared with me just what it is like to live over there. No power for at least 15 hours a day, no running or hot water and living off the blackmarket. She had a well paid job as a school teacher and earnt just $US160 per month. It certainly made me appreciate our lifestyle here!!

Till next week.

Peter

Souvenirs Australia Warehouse

No comments: